Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Spinach Frittata



There were 2 half eaten bags of pre-washed spinach in my fridge...what to do with them was the question. As I planned my meals for the week I thought a frittata would be fast and simple, very little clean up, and a one pot meal. So off I go to scrounge a little more in my fridge...there were some scallions needing to be used, a partly used carton of eggs, some leftover bacon, and a half eaten block of cheddar cheese. I put it all together adding a little of this and that and hoped for good results. One of the most satisfying things for me in the kitchen is using up all kinds of leftover scraps in the fridge or freezer and making it into a whole new dish. Frittatas are so easy and versatile, and there is no need to have precise measuring. It turned out delicious, and here is what I used:


2 T olive oil
3-4 cups chopped fresh spinach
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c chopped green onions/scallions
2 T bacon bits
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
dash of nutmeg
pinch of salt
dash of pepper
4 oz of shredded cheddar cheese

Turn broiler on. In a large non stick, oven proof, skillet heat oil on medium heat and saute spinach, adding in onions and garlic. Saute for about 3 minutes or until garlic and onions are softened. Wisk together eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt, and pepper then pour right into pan with spinach on medium to low heat. Sprinkle in bacon bits and top with shredded cheese. Cover pan and cook on medium low for about 5 minutes. Once eggs begin to set, place pan under broiler for only a few minutes until cheese begins bubble and brown slightly and eggs are completely set, watch closely! Remove from pan using rubber spatula, slice and enjoy.



No comments: