Tuesday, March 6, 2012

How to make Kefir.


Have you ever heard of Kefir? You've probably seen it in the store by now. Well, we have been enjoying it for some time now and have learned how to make it as well. We've bought it in the store a few times but I prefer whole milk Kefir adverse to low fat and since my Mom has access to all sorts of cultures for cheese,  she gave me a bottle of Kefir culture to try. Kefir is a cultured dairy product, more easily digested than milk, and full of probiotics. It has the consistency of runny yogurt or buttermilk, carrying with it a slightly sour smell, yet pleasant, and tastes similar to plain yogurt.  When I do make it, it doesn't last long...I use it in smoothies (we drink a lot of those), or we drink it plain or maybe with a shot of maple syrup, I've also used it in place of the buttermilk in my pancake recipe and it makes them so light and fluffy and delicious. 

Here is a website where you can purchase Kefir culture or grains. I haven't used the grains (look similar to small cauliflower florets) that they sell but have read they are just as easy, you just need to strain the kefir and then you can use the grains over and over again. 

 Here's how it works:
You will need
Milk
Quart mason jar with lid
Kefir culture


Here I'm making 2 quarts of Kefir

about a 1/2 teaspoon per 1-2 quarts is what the culture bottle reads...I used 1/2 t per quart

Dump in the culture and stir till well combined

Cover the jar and let it sit on the counter for at least 24 hours, the longer it sits past 24 hours the more sour and thicker it will become.

And here is the final product after 24 hours...tried to show the consistency for you.

Tia couldn't get enough of it! 

6 comments:

Carol said...

Tia is adorable. That's all I have to say about Kefir.

Grandma Moo said...

I've found it lasts for weeks in the frig (if Tia doesn't find it first!) Mmmmm good!

Carol Rose said...

I bought some and could'nt drink it,I thought it was horrible, I guess homemade is better(which is usually the case). I have tried some of your recipes and enjoy them..Mrs. rose

Rebecca said...

Did you try plain or sweetened? It does have a slightly different sour taste than other cultured products.

Carol said...

O wow. Target sells it. Had to try it, of course - tastes fine to me. Besides texture and a taste, how is it different from yogurt?

Rebecca said...

Kefir contains more kinds of beneficial live bacteria compared with yogurt. It also includes lots of enzymes, vitamins and minerals,and thus more nutritious for you. Tell Paul to use this in his smoothies:o)